Random Thoughts on Today's Political Culture


Today's Political Culture

As an risk management professional, it can be rather easy to overly focus on dangers that lie out and about.  It can be difficult to visit someone's house and not think to myself: "Wow they really need a handrail here" or "Gosh that roof needs replacing."   Don't get me started on what happens when someone pulls out a cigarette.  Some of the things that people put into their system via foods and drugs are just pure toxic.

Toxic Culture?


But today's political culture - is also toxic.  This is the first time in my adult life where I just do not even want to read the news.  I just shut the news off of the TV when it comes on.  The Right - The Left - it is just so crazy.   How and When did we get to this toxic brew of information?

Is it the media?  Is it the Congress?  Is it the President?   I just do not know.

One thing I know with certainty is that the political process in this country, at least right now, is truly non functional and every bit as toxic as smoking can be.


What to do about Our Toxic Political Culture:

I really do not know for certain what is making our political culture so toxic.  Its hard to point at anyone person or even just one party.   What I can suggest is that there all something that all of us can do.

Try and See it from Another's View:
I personally think that something that is significant that I can do is to attempt to understand others views on political considerations.   Take as an example Freedom of speech.  I am in favor of freedom of speech.  Most people are right?   So I do not take lightly the idea that speech should be prevented.   However I do try and understand why certain people believe freedom of speech should be limited in certain situations.  An example of this might be hate speech.  If I imagine myself in some other persons position that is yelling hateful things at me, I begin to see why limiting hate speech and hence free speech might be necessary.

I do not think alone that this will end our toxic political culture, but it may be a step.

Comments

Popular Posts